The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough | Book Review


The Thorn Birds by Colleen McCullough

Published: 1977
Read: September 2019
Rating: 3.5 stars

Synopsis: The bestselling Australian novel of all time, THORN BIRDS is the sweeping saga of three generations of the Cleary family.
Stoic matriarch Fee, her devoted husband, Paddy, and their headstrong daughter, Meggie, experience joy, sadness and magnificent triumph in the cruel Australian outback. With life's unpredictability, it is love that is their unifying thread, but it is a love shadowed by the anguish of forbidden passions. 

This book was given to me as a gift from my Nanna. She loved it when it was released back in the 70s, as did my mother-in-law, and it currently remains the best selling book by an Australian author of all time.

“There is a legend about a bird which sings just once in its life, more sweetly than any other creature on the face of the earth. From the moment it leaves the nest it searches for a thorn tree, and does not rest until it has found one. Then, singing among the savage branches, it impales itself upon the longest, sharpest spine. And, dying, it rises above its own agony to outcarol the lark and the nightingale. One superlative song, existence the price. But the whole world stills to listen, and God in His heaven smiles. For the best is only bought at the cost of great pain…”

Unfortunately though, I found myself putting this one down quite frequently, and honestly, for a while there I struggled to pick it back up. This was largely (well, only) due to Father Ralph’s “love” for Maggie and their eventual romance. 

The age difference (18+ years), the circumstances in which they met (she being a very young child and him taking on a somewhat parental role) and knowing the direction the story was going in, made his internal dialogue when Maggie was young feel gross and creepy. It just didn’t sit well with me and I wasn’t a fan of this love story at all.

That aside, the writing was fantastic and is what saved this book for me. McCullough wrote about my own back yard in a way I’ve failed to see it before. One example (one of a gazillion I can assure you) was the way she described Sydney’s Central Station, a place I visit almost every day on my commute to work, it was so endearing and allowed me to see it with new eyes and appreciation. It was exciting to see a place so benignly part of my daily routine described in such a way. 

This kind of writing is what kept me coming back for more as I absolutely love when I can dive into a book and live in it. McCullough managed to make Australia itself a living, breathing character. It was described beautifully and I felt like I was there in the past experiencing my country in a way I never have or ever will. This by far was my favourite thing about this novel. I just loved it. 

“Each of us has something within us which won't be denied, even if it makes us scream aloud to die. We are what we are, that's all. Like the old Celtic legend of the bird with the thorn in its breast, singing its heart out and dying. Because it has to, its self-knowledge can't affect or change the outcome, can it? Everyone singing his own little song, convinced it's the most wonderful song the world has ever heard. Don't you see? We create our own thorns, and never stop to count the cost. All we can do is suffer the pain, and tell ourselves it was well worth it.

This novel had so many layers, and despite my struggles with certain themes (Father Ralph I’m looking at you), and some dated dialogue, there was so much to take away from it, undoubtedly more than I could possibly grasp during my first readthrough. I was so enthralled by this family saga, it was truly fascinating and will stay with me for a long time.

Comments

Popular Posts