A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas | Book Review


A Court of Thorns and Roses by Sarah J. Maas

Published: May 2015
Read: October 2019
Series: ACOTAR #1
Rating: 4 stars

Synopsis: When nineteen-year-old huntress Feyre kills a wolf in the woods, a beast-like creature arrives to demand retribution for it. Dragged to a treacherous magical land she only knows about from legends, Feyre discovers that her captor is not an animal, but Tamlin--one of the lethal, immortal faeries who once ruled their world. 

As she dwells on his estate, her feelings for Tamlin transform from icy hostility into a fiery passion that burns through every lie and warning she's been told about the beautiful, dangerous world of the Fae. But an ancient, wicked shadow over the faerie lands is growing, and Feyre must find a way to stop it . . . or doom Tamlin and his world forever.

This novel was such a delight and a welcome change of pace from my most recent read (The Thornbirds). This was exactly what I needed and was easy to pick up and slip straight into due to it's straightforward and descriptive writing style.

So, I have a bit of a confession... I have never read a book set in the world of Fae before. This seems crazy to me as over the last decade this setting has become so popular in the YA genre. But I have finally given it a go, and I must say that I enjoyed it far more than I ever thought I would. 

I instantly fell in love with the world Maas created, the good and the bad, and all of it’s characters. Why has it taken me so long to give this genre a go?! I want to go there so badly, I want to explore the world and experience all it has to offer. 

That being said, this book was by no means perfect. The beginning was a little slow (which is fine by me, but is a common complaint) and some of the characters' actions and relationships were problematic… expect possessive, controlling, hot and cold behaviours my friends. But I enjoyed it so much regardless (not sure what that says about me), and from the halfway point I could not put this book down.

A couple of things that I thought were done particularly well were the action scenes (albeit you’ll have to wait quite a while to get to them, but once you're there you’ll be on the edge of your seat) and the side characters. I especially enjoyed Lucien, as a side character he felt well realised and had complexity. As for Tamlin... I really liked Tamlin... and oh boy there were some really really steamy sex scenes (why this is categorised as YA and not New Adult is beyond me). 

Overall, I really liked A Court of Thorns and Roses, so much so, that upon finishing I couldn't sleep from constantly thinking about it and had to race out immediately the next day to buy the sequel.

Comments

Popular Posts