Salems’ Lot & The Maze Runner | Mini Reviews

Salem’s Lot by Stephen King

Published: October 1975
Read: May 2019
Rating: 2.5 stars

Synopsis: 'Salem's Lot is a small New England town with the usual quota of gossips, drinkers, weirdos and respectable folk. Of course there are tales of strange happenings - but not more than in any other town its size.

Ben Mears, a moderately successful writer, returns to the Lot to write a novel based on his early years, and to exorcise the terrors that have haunted him since childhood. The event he witnessed in the house now rented by a new resident. A newcomer with a strange allure. A man who causes Ben some unease as things start to happen: a child disappears, a dog is brutally killed - nothing unusual, except the list starts to grow.

Soon surprise will turn to bewilderment, bewilderment to confusion and finally to terror . . .

Even though I enjoyed this novel’s b-grade horror movie vibe, I feel like it hasn’t aged well. Some of the dialogue and narrative felt clunky and strange at times, and disappointingly to me, it didn’t feel “scary” at all. The ending felt anticlimactic to me and overall I was underwhelmed by the second half of the novel. 

That said, there were many scenes that had me hanging on every word (King’s writing is so atmospheric), and I really enjoyed the first half of this story and found that my affection for it crept up on me. 

Regardless of my criticisms, I found myself increasingly thinking about this book whenever I wasn’t reading it and still thoroughly enjoyed the experience.

~*~

The Maze Runner by James Dashner

Published: October 2009
Read: April 2019
Series: The Maze Runner #1
Rating: 4 stars

Synopsis: When Thomas wakes up in the lift, the only thing he can remember is his name.

He’s surrounded by strangers—boys whose memories are also gone.
Outside the towering stone walls that surround the Glade is a limitless, ever-changing maze. It’s the only way out—and no one’s ever made it through alive.

Then a girl arrives. The first girl ever. And the message she delivers is terrifying.

Remember. Survive. Run.

This YA dystopian had me hooked from the start, with its fast-paced action-packed plot full of twists and turns that did not disappoint. This, along with Daschner’s vivid descriptions, made it easy to get swept up in this world. 

I really enjoyed the protagonist Thomas, and side characters Newt and Minho were also favourites. Unfortunately Thomas’s friendship with Chuck felt a little forced at times though, which was disappointing.

I did not like the made-up language (obviously designed to mask swear words) at all and I really struggled to get past it. It felt so silly and was used so frequently. I really hope it takes a back seat for the rest of the series. 

The ending was really strong though and I thought the epilogue was a clever way to end. I am looking forward to picking up the next instalment.

Comments

Popular Posts