The Name of the Wind & You | Mini Reviews

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfus

Published: March 2007
Read: December 2018
Series: The Kingkiller Chronicles #1
Rating: 5/5 stars

Synopsis: 'I have stolen princesses back from sleeping barrow kings. I burned down the town of Trebon. I have spent the night with Felurian and left with both my sanity and my life. I was expelled from the University at a younger age than most people are allowed in. I tread paths by moonlight that others fear to speak of during the day. I have talked to Gods, loved women, and written songs that make the minstrels weep.

My name is Kvothe. You may have heard of me.'

This was my entry into epic fantasy, and more importantly, the first book I picked up after a 3-year reading slump. It was phenomenal and became an instant favourite (Kvothe is now one of my all-time favourite characters!). Rothfus weaves between the past and present masterfully here, and whilst it was slow at times, the story still remained engaging from beginning to end. The magic system was unique and intriguing, and I’m excited to learn more about it in book 2. Honestly, I have nothing negative to say here (other than boo Denna!), fantastic just doesn't do this book justice.

~*~

You by Caroline Kepnes

Published: September 2014
Read: December 2018
Series: You #1
Rating: 4/5 stars

Synopsis: When aspiring writer Guinevere Beck strides into the bookstore where Joe works, he is instantly smitten. But there's more to Joe than Beck realises and much more to Beck than her perfect facade... 

You was unlike anything I have read before. For starters, it's written in second person from the point-of-view of a stalker named Joe. This writing style was at first jarring and uncomfortable to read from, but once I got used to it, I really enjoyed it, and it certainly separates this book from your standard thriller. Joe’s narration was intense, disturbing and insane, yet at times beautiful. His wit and candour made it easy to sympathise with him, and even though you know how twisted he is, you can't help but feel attached to him and grow (somewhat) fond of him. This was largely helped by the fact that all of the other characters were quite unlikable, making it easier to attach yourself to Joe and (again, somewhat) excuse his actions. Also, reading this made me incredibly aware of how accessible and vulnerable we are due to social media. This novel was quite a ride, I really liked it.

Comments

Popular Posts